Thursday, June 10, 2010

Life Can Be a Dream Killer If You Let It

Life is strange, isn't it? You find yourself focusing your
entire life in one particular area because you think "this is
what I am good at and this is what I am supposed to do". But what
happens when you recognize you have another talent that you enjoy
even more -- and that it brings joy to others? That's when it's
time to stop and think.

And so while I am primarily still focusing my time on my
marketing consulting services and serving my active clients, I am
also turning some of my attention to establishing myself as a
local comedy magician. It all started a long time ago ...

I was about 5 when my Dad showed me my first coin and card
tricks. It took me a long time to figure out how those coins kept
coming out of my ears or how my Dad always seemed to know the
card I picked. Of course, it helped that my Dad had worked in my
Uncle Harry's magic shop back when he was a teenager. Harry
taught me a thing or two about the classics of magic, and I just
ran with it, devouring every book I could find in the local and
school libraries.

By the time I was a teen, I was performing at every opportunity
I got. Kids' parties, social gatherings, even standing on line at
the movies. Magic pretty much consumed my life and fascinated me.
For a while I dreamed about making it big as an entertainer, but
then college and life got in the way of the dream, and it's only
been over the past few months that I've allowed myself to indulge
in my secret life as a magician.

With one performance behind me and another coming up at the end
of June, I'm beginning to realize that I REALLY like performing
and want to keep doing it. I make people laugh. I move people.
And I have fun doing it, too. Here's the invitation to the show
in case you'll be in Tulsa:

http://www.sophisticatedsorcery.com/invitation.htm

This all begs the question: are you doing what you're doing
because that's all you have ever tried or is there something else
you should be doing which taps into your other gifts and talents?
Is there something else that brings you joy and possibly brings
joy to others, too?

I receive a lot of emails and phone calls from subscribers and
folks who have stumbled upon me through my web sites. Most of
these people work at doing X but dream of doing Y. A professor
who dreams of writing and selling ebooks. A retiree who loves
gardening and wants to earn money sharing her hobby with others.
The inventor who toils by day at his 9-5 job but who creates
ingenious software by night.

Why can't you do what you do to pay the bills by day and dabble
in what you love by night? Who says you can't have your cake and
eat it, too? Life can be a dream killer. Don't let that happen to
you. Dare to dream and reach for the stars.

Until next time,


Steven


P.S.: You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to create your
web sites if you have the right tools. Here's the one I recommend
most:

http://www.xsitepro.com/index_r.html?p=spidy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home