Thursday, April 22, 2010

Don't Hold Back on Dreams

Good morning, friends, and I hope all is well on your side of
the screen. This past Saturday I had the good fortune of being
invited by my church to perform magic at a picnic gathering.

I am not a professional magician. I think the right term is paid
amateur. I perform from time to time for money. I got started in
magic when I was a kid, and was bitten by the bug when my Uncle
Harry made a quarter disappear and then pulled it out of my ear.

Harry used to own a magic and novelty shop in Manhattan, and my
Dad worked for him as a teenager. My Dad started teaching me card
tricks as a kid, and with the encouragement of him, my Uncle
Harry and my grandmother, my interests grew into circus arts
including juggling and fire eating.

By the time I was 15 I had become quite skilled and used to
performing in a variety of smaller venues from schools to private
parties and clubs. I had my heart set on becoming a world famous
magician.

Never happened.

Life got in the way: college, work, family, kids, money.

Poof: my dreams vanished in a proverbial puff of smoke.

When the odd opportunities do come up for a performance, I
usually jump on them, but they are scary because I am so out of
practice. The best way to become a great performer is practice,
practice, practice.

So when my church asked me to perform at their picnic a few
months ago, I panicked. I said, "Yes" but my heart started
telling me "No, no, no. You will fail!"

For the next few weeks, I tried hard to pull an entertaining
show together.

But even the day before the performance, a little voice inside
my head was telling me to save myself the embarrassment and failure
and to hire a magician to perform in my place instead. I didn't
listen and with the support of my kids, I went ahead and did it.

And it went very, very well.

People were amazed by the magic, laughed in all the right
places, and I received a standing ovation for my performance.

It was a good day.

As a result of this performance, I have been invited to chat
with a local theater/comedy group about a potential regular gig on
Friday nights. I find this rather exciting and I am anxious to
see where this may lead.

I'm not looking to walk away from my consulting practice though
the exposure as a performer could result in work. It's more for
personal enjoyment and satisfaction -- a way to prove to myself
that I can do it.

Which brings me to today's life lesson, class.

What dreams are you holding back on because of the little voice
deep inside that tells you that you will fail?

The clock keeps ticking and we don't get any younger.

The time to act is now.

Take the chance.

You never know what lies behind the door unless you step through
it.

Do you have an idea for a new product, service or business? Do
you have an idea for how to turn a hobby into a profession? Do
you have a desire to radically redirect your life in a new
direction or career?

It would be my pleasure to assist you on your journey.

918-810-5233 or info@schneiderman.net.

Class dismissed.

All my best,

Steven

P.S.: Please click the link and share this with a friend:

http://getresponse.com/forward.html?x=a62b&m=RuhU&s=BM46r&y=n&

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home