Friday, October 14, 2011

Too Much Time On My Hands

And so as this newsletter arrives, we all put another notch in
our desks, signifying the end to another week in our lives. I hope
yours was productive. I spent my time writing an email series for
a book about our relationship with God, completing a makeover to
a corporate web site, converting my own consulting web site from
FrontPage to XSitePro, writing sales copy and doing SEO analysis
for a bunch of marina web sites, and doing research on a bunch of
fire prevention and suppression companies. It's been a busy, busy
week. Howze bayou?

It's easy in all the busy-i-ness to lose sight of more important
things like your relationships with others and making sure you
have some downtime for yourself. I know I tend to fall short on
my own downtime between work and family. I could use an eighth
day in my week, one reserved strictly for my own selfish needs to
chill out and relax and do something fun.

Growing up as an only child, I spent a lot of time by myself. I had
friends on the block and through school, but I really learned to
become comfortable in my own skin. I didn't really struggle to
impress or pretend I was something other than who I am, perhaps
with some exceptions when I performed magic. But by and large, I
was comfortable being alone. I grew to relish it at the end of
the day. Being alone made it easier to decompress, shut off the
world, and think -- or not think -- as the case may be.

Being an older Dad -- I'm only 53 but didn't marry until I was 35
and started a family right after that -- I sometimes find myself
having a hard time keeping up with my kids. Wrestling with my 12
year old son isn't as easy as it was even a few years ago, and
talking to my daughter about her iTunes songs -- what is it with
"screamo" that attracts 15 year old girls -- is almost impossible
for me to bear.

And having two teens also means that they tend to interrupt my
downtime with a variety of teen angst crises. However, there are
more and more days where they leave me completely alone. On those
days, while I am trying to relax, I suddenly feel lonely. I
realize my kids are growing up physically, emotionally, and
spiritually. And in a few years, they'll probably be thinking
about moving away to go to college. And then I'll have so much
time to myself, I've a feeling I won't know what to do with
myself.

Time is an interesting factor of life. And business.

I'm consumed by saving time. I tend to rush through things, and
not put forth my best effort. As Larry the Cable Guy says,
"Get'er done!" The only problem is when I rush, I make mistakes,
and then I make more work for myself.

Sometimes, I do use my free time well. Like this past week. My
wife purchased Lysol No Touch Soap Dispensers for every sink in
the house. These are battery operated soap dispensers. You hold
your hand in front of a little sensor and they dispense a squeeze
or two of liquid soap. They are very handy, but they cost about
$16.00 each with one refill, and then additional refills can run
around $23 for four of them. You can probably run through a
refill every month for every dispenser you have.

So I went to Walmart and purchased a large cheap bottle of Equate
liquid soap, drilled a hole in the top of every dispenser bottle
and filled them all up for a fraction of the cost. I was very
proud of myself. My wife looked at me like I was crazy, but I
told her we were going to save $200/year in liquid soap. You just
watch and see, lassie.

I told her I was going to write an ebook about it and sell it for
a buck just to show her how ingenious I was. Then I found other
people who had posted do-it-yourself videos on YouTube showing
the exact same process as mine. Intellectual property thieves.
They must have my house bugged. There's no justice in the world
anymore.

Anyway, I obviously have too much time on my hands. Or more than
I thought.

Wanted to share with you a new graphics product you might find
useful. It's #4 in a series of professionally designed abstract
graphics. You can use these in your web site designs, ebook cover
designs, business card designs, the list goes on and on. Adding
subtle abstract backgrounds to your marketing materials can
really make a difference. Check out the example here:

http://www.resellerproducts.com/Killer-Abstract-Backgrounds-4.html

While you're on that site, take a gander (I am becoming an
Okie) at the other hot graphics tools available. The site offers
many tools that can help enhance your marketing and raise it up a
notch. If you buy any two products on the site, I'll give you a
third of your own choosing for free! So check it all out and see
what floats your boat.

And here's one more special offer for the week. I've written four
ebooks this year:

http://www.schneiderman.net/Publications.html

Buy one, get one free. Just go ahead and make a purchase, and then
tell me which one you want for free! My gift for subscribers only,
and because I want you to have this information to improve your
businesses!

Until next time,


Steven

P.S.: You know the drill by now. Click the link below to share
with a friend.

http://app.getresponse.com/forward.html?x=a62b&m=L6ht&s=t5IKb&y=4&

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home