Thursday, September 29, 2011

They're Coming to Get You, Barbara

Good Thursday to you. Hope all is well on your side of the
screen. Having just returned from a three-day family retreat with
my kids at New Life Ranch where the kids decompressed on the
ropes course, zip line, and rifle range, I am now trying to get
my head back in the right place, focused on some new projects.

Of course, there are always lots of distractions. I'm not a huge
TV kinda guy, but with the new season of shows, I am psyched for
Harry's Law, The Ultimate Fighter and The Walking Dead. I know,
weird combination of shows. The Walking Dead is something I am
particularly excited about because this season includes episodes
written by my favorite horror author, Stephen King.

George Romero, who started the whole zombie-brain eating niche
back in the 60's with "Night of the Living Dead", said that his
series of movies was actually a dark statement about our society
and that we are all zombies in our own way.

Hmmm. Me a zombie? Yowza.

But if you think about it: we get up, we go to work, we come
home, and rinse-repeat, day after day. Kinda like zombies. Yeah.
I'm a zombie. Guilty as charged, your honor.

And some of us act as if we're brain dead. Can't remember what
city we're in as we're traveling trying to make a buck. And most
of us can't even get moving in the morning without our magic
elixir available at your local Starbucks.

Day after day, we try to make a buck doing the same thing, and
get the same crappy results.

So, maybe Uncle George is right. Maybe we are more like zombies
than we are the people trying to escape or kill them. Maybe our
worst nightmare is true. We have become the monsters that can't
be killed.

Surely, this isn't the way it was meant to be.

Surely, there is more to this zombie existence, right?

Surely ...

I think it depends upon where you choose to live.

I'm not talking about physical location.

I'm talking about where your heart and soul live.

A lot of people claim they live "in the moment".

That's pretty good. Better than living in the past and fretting
about things you can't change.

And it is certainly better than living in the future, making
yourself anxious over things yet to come.

But what does living in the moment mean to you?

For me, I struggle daily over what I can control -- my words, my
actions, my decisions -- and what I cannot control -- which is
just about everything else. So that's where my moment lives.

What about you?

Something to think about as you go to bed this evening and pray
you don't see a zombie in the mirror when you look in the mirror
in the morning.

More to come.

Until next time,


Steven

P.S.: I hope you enjoy my ramblings. Over 1800 people worldwide
do and the list is growing. Help it grow some more by forwarding
this to a friend. Click the link below to get it going:

http://app.getresponse.com/forward.html?x=a62b&m=eQCG&s=BMdBv&y=o&

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home