Tuesday, December 21, 2010

End of Year Reflections

Howdy. My car's in the shop with two blown header gaskets. While
I am waiting for things to be rebuilt and repaired, I find myself
with a lot of extra time on my hands around Christmas. This may
be deliberate or circumstance, but it leaves me with a lot of
time to reflect over the past year.

I've looked over my revenue summary and found that my passive
income is consistent with years past -- about $25K. It's been
like that for a long time. This is income I don't really work at
and which does not have any large expenses associated with it. It
comes largely through affiliate marketing, some reseller
products, and some of my own product sales, but by and large, the
majority comes through referral commissions.

I know a lot of people, especially those who are now in awkward
financial situations, who would kill for this kind of passive
income. It's not a huge amount. It's certainly not the millions
you hear the gurus talking about. But it is a chunk of change
that really helps pay the bills and keeps cash flowing.

So I've decided to release a new ebook about how I do this. I
think you will find it useful and beneficial because it is not
going to involve get-rich-quick schemes or complex tools or a
huge investment. I will keep it simple. More to follow.

As the year comes to an end, I am reviewing how I spent my time
and energy and what level of satisfaction was achieved in each
respective area. I like creating -- writing ebooks, developing
new products -- but I didn't have the chance to create anything
new this year. In fact, other than my new magic web site, I
haven't created anything for myself in years. Instead, I have
been developing sites, covers, and content for others, and while
that does pay the bills, it's not nearly as fulfilling. So next
year I will refocus and begin to tackle that long list of things
marked "to do".

I'm also going to make a concerted effort to perform more for
those who have been forgotten -- those living in retirement homes
or mental health facilities. It is my wish to bring more smiles
to the faces of those who have lost their smiles a long time ago.
I don't know how I am going to fund this effort. I know the need
for this type of ministry is huge, so I'm going to rely on Him to
guide me and show me how to do it. Where there's a will, there is
a way.

I don't know how your year has been, but if it has been like mine
or my clients, then it has been a tough year. Very few survived
this one without taking some hits along the way. It's been a year
of adjustments, and many have been uncomfortable and difficult to
swallow. As a rule, we all welcome change when it brings rewards,
but when it threatens our comfort level and requires us to do
without or change lifestyles then we tend to get angry and
frustrated.

Eventually self-pity and hopelessness find their way into your
life. These are unwelcome guests. They bring along other evils
including sorrow and anxiety. And most of all, a desire to
control the situation.

This is one I've been wrestling with for a long time. Some days I
do better than others. Today I choose not to try to control
things. It must become an unconscious effort. And it must be done
daily. Show me the way, O Lord.

As Christmas nears, I hope you will take some time to reflect on
the past year. Look at what worked and what didn't. Examine your
heart. Welcome change and look for opportunity. And give up
control, one day at a time.

Until next time,

Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home