Monday, September 14, 2009

Wants vs. Needs

It's late and I really should be preparing for bed, so I am
ready to rise with my kids in the morning and get them ready for
school. Today I had the good fortune of watching my kids serve in
church as ushers and greeters, and they had their pictures taken
in action for our monthly church publication. Later, I drove my
son around the neighborhood in the rain so he could go door to
door to sell popcorn as a fundraiser for his Boy Scout troop.

As I watched my son in action -- he is only ten -- I smiled. He
has learned very well how to warm people up with a smile, to
speak about the benefits of his products, to make suggestions and
ask questions, to guide the prospect and qualify them, and then
hand them a pen and ask for the sale, "Which one would you
prefer, this one or this one?" Then he asks if they would like
more than one, and begins his upsell for the military donation.
Then he finishes with a "Thank you. The Boy Scouts appreciate
your support and so do our soldiers." Then he shakes their hands,
smiles and moves on.

He was picking up $65.00 orders left and right. A few years ago
he sold over $2000.00 worth of popcorn in the matter of a few
days, more than anyone else in his troop. While it's true my wife
and I solicit some orders through our jobs, the bulk comes from
Christian's salesmanship.

In a few months, it will be his older sister's turn. Alex knows
how to flash a smile and go for quantity orders. Girl Scouts have
it tougher since you have to sell a lot of boxes at around
$4.00/each to equal one tin of popcorn that sells for $50.00. But
she has done well in the past, too, often leading her troop or
coming in darn close to the top. She has her regular customers,
some corporate who will buy dozens of boxes. The kids do well,
and even though I have coached them, they are naturals.

As I watched my son today, I thanked God for giving me good,
healthy kids. Smart kids who stay out of trouble, wake up happy,
go to sleep happy, do well in school and serve their community. I
am blessed beyond belief. If I were to lose everything and have
to start all over again -- always a possibility in this day and
age -- I would still count myself a very blessed man.

But what I like here is that my kids have mastered the art of
the sale at an early age. This is an invaluable skill set. I meet
a lot of people who have good ideas for products or services they
want to sell online, but they do not understand the art of the
sale and will likely never make the first sale.

I also meet a lot of people who have great ideas for products or
services, but great ideas do not a business make. While it is
easy to set-up shop online and test market things, it is rare
that someone wakes up with an idea, launches a site and makes a
million overnight. It is very rare indeed. In this respect,
having a great idea and wanting to build a viable, sustainable
business around it is tied to understanding the differences
between wants and needs.

A pastor in church today reminded us of this difference and how
in the Bible it says God will provide everything you need. What
do you need? For most people, the essentials includes food,
shelter, clothing and perhaps transportation to do work. These
are the basics.

Wants are totally different. They are the things which we are
tempted to buy to quell something inside of us which tells us we
need it, when in truth we merely want it. For example, do we need
a Rolex watch or a Lexus? No, we don't. We may want it, but we
don't need it.

So when you decide to launch an online business, you better ask
yourself do people want my product or do they need it? Chances
are unless it involves food, shelter or clothing, people don't
need it at all. In fact, they may not even think they want it. So
your job is to use sales techniques to make them think they need
it, and then present your product as the solution they have been
waiting for.

If you don't understand the art of the sale the way my kids do,
then you may not be able to sell your ebook, your software, your
audio or video or your monthly subscription service for your
membership site. Unless you work with someone who does understand
the art of the sale.

During a recent update of my Case Studies, I laughed as I
reviewed some of the projects I have written about. Both as a
ghost writer for John Hostler and for my own clients, I have
written as a gay man selling an ebook about how to pick up men, I
have written numerous sales letters for health supplements and
diets and exercise programs, I have written about software
packages and ebooks about marketing and investing, and so much
more. The list goes on and on. Sales letters, squeeze pages,
press release, email series, direct mail campaigns, you name it.

Do you want my help or do you need my help?

Email me at info@schneiderman.net.

Good night, my friends. Stay well and be blessed,

Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home