Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Understanding the Importance of Likeability

We're in the middle of YAIC (yet another ice storm) and I
am so happy I had the good sense to have the trees trimmed
back away from the house a few weeks ago while the weather
was still nice.

We have about a half dozen 100 year old trees around the
house, and sometimes their branches grow a wee bit too
close to the roof line. Having just replaced the roof two
years ago, I want to do everything I can to preserve it.

Are you doing everything you can to preserve your business?
It's easy to grow lax and become complacent. If your
business is steady or growing, then it's easy to think that
whatever you have been doing up until now will keep working
in the future.

The truth is you need to take precautions so your business
doesn't take a tumble the way my trees could have come
crashing through my roof unless I had the forethought to
plan for the future. I knew ice storms could come to Tulsa
again. I knew the damage they caused last December. If you
want to see how much tree loss we had, go Google my home
address and look at the pictures. It was really quite
devastating and difficult to have predicted.

People not only lost huge trees, but they also lost homes,
cars and anything else that got in the way of falling
limbs. Likewise, if you don't plan for the future of your
business, then you have no one to blame when your business
falters.

What are you doing to improve your marketing now in
anticipation of harder economic times ahead?

So many people I meet think they know everything they need
to know and are capable of doing their marketing by
themselves. You see this frequently in entrepreneurs who
develop a good idea into a new product, but once they have
manufactured the product they haven't a clue how to sell it
or market it. Then they go out of business.

You also see this in established companies where the
founder or VP of Sales is also tasked with marketing.
Unfortunately, early success can sometimes give them a
sense of false security. They think what worked in the past
will continue to work in the future. Not true.

So what should you be focusing on?

I think, more now than ever before, it is important to
connect with your prospects and customers. I'm not talking
about all that social networking stuff.

I don't really believe that people want to Twitter or
Facebook away to know that you just had a cup of coffee at
Starbucks or care to know what you are reading.

These types of facts are simply not interesting unless they
project your character and qualities. Ultimately, people
want to do business with people they are intrigued by, who
they respect, and who they like. "Likeability" is a very
critical factor.

You don't get likability through Google ads or search
engine optimization or Twitter or Facebook or MySpace. You
may get traffic. You may get position. You may even make
new friends. But at the end of the day, you won't get
liked.

And being liked is what makes people subscribe to your
newsletter and stay subscribed for 10+ years like many of
the 1500+ subscribers to my newsletters.

I'm not having a Sally Fields moment ("You like me, you
really, really, like me!"). I am saying that the position
you take and the character you project, that how you
communicate and speak to people, all goes towards your
likeability quotient.

Do people like you? You may find that people like you when
they meet you. That's great. It makes closing sales easier.
But does your marketing make you likeable? Does it help
people to understand the nature of your character and who
you are and what you stand for? Does it open doors so they
can meet you in person or talk on the phone?

Your sales letter should do this for you by adding an
emotional hook early on. Your email communications should
always enforce and add to your character. People should
read these things and feel like they know you.

Do you know how many emails I receive from people telling
me how much they love my emails, how they feel like I am
just speaking to them? A lot.

This speaks loads to my character. When people read my
sales letters and my emails, they know who I am, what I
stand for, and what I can do for them.

What does your sales letter or email communications say
about you, your character, what you believe in, who you
are? Do people feel like they know you before you even walk
through the door or speak to you? Do they like you before
they even meet you? I think when you can achieve this
likeability, you have a very strong sales tool.

Your assignment for next time is to review your sales copy
on your web site. Reread your latest email series or
newsletter. Read your marketing collateral and proposals.
Is it all business? Is there any character shining through?
Would you buy from you and why? Be honest and truthful with
yourself.

If you want help, you know who to turn to.

If you still prefer to do it yourself, then please consider
using these tools:

Follow-Up Email Creator Pro

Push Button Sales Letters

Push Button Email Software


Sales Page Tactics

Authorty AdWords

Headline Creator Pro


Secret Marketing Strategies


All of these tools can help you to craft better sales
letters and email communications. If you don't want to hire
a pro or can't hire a pro at this point in time, then
peruse that list of tools and I guarantee you will find
something that will improve your communications right away.

Be blessed and prosperous,


Steven Schneiderman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home