Thursday, December 04, 2008

On Publishing and Some Marketing Tool Recommendations

Good morning, folks. I have two things I want to share
with you, but first a little rant which you will either
find inspiring or callous.

I receive many emails from first-time authors with no money
or experience who claim they have written the greatest book
ever. They ask for either free consulting services or a
free membership to EbookoMatic.com. In return, they offer
wealth on the back end in the form of commissions. They
tend to be very insulted and insulting when I turn them
down. Like everyone else, I need to spend my time wisely,
and the odds of the average ebook or book becoming a best
seller and making millions for them and for me is akin to
finding a needle in a haystack. I'm not saying it is
impossible, but it is darn near close.

I also receive many emails from authors who have already
taken the first step and built a presence online.
Frequently, these web sites are very amateurish in their
design and construct. Now marketing gurus will tell you
that simple sites sell. This may be true (I don't entirely
agree with this belief), but even a simple site needs basic
elements of good writing and salesmanship. And to be
effective, they must have long-term marketing goals beyond
the initial sales of the ebook or book.

For starters, your site needs a compelling headline.
Without it, the reader won't be encouraged to read further.

Then you need an image of your ebook. You need to make it
tangible.

Then you need to tell an interesting story which explains
who you are, why you wrote the ebook, and what the value is
to the prospective buyer. The value you can be entertainment
or something they will learn or experience by reading your
work.

Then you need to price it so it is within the reach of your
prospects.

Include a buy button, a simple purchase process and a
download page.

And throw in a P.S. perhaps with a bonus or two to make your
offer impossible to ignore.

But it doesn't end there because the majority of people who
visit your site will NOT buy your ebook or book.

So you need a way to capture their name and email address
in exchange for some thank you gift (a free excerpt is
good), and then you need to stay in touch with them - 6-12
months - and encourage them to learn more about you and
your work until finally they either buy something from you
or something that you recommend (where you make a back end
commission) or ask to unsubscribe from your newsletter.

These are the basic elements of selling and marketing your
work online.

Skip one of these and your success will be in doubt. Do all
of these and you are positioned for sales -- not wealth or
fame -- but some sales.

The quality of the work is critical.

Testimonials are critical.

How you promote your work is critical.

Now for a few recommendations ...

First, I've seen some really complicated purchase processes
where the prospect has to go through multiple screens just
to buy an ebook. Remember who you are competing against:
Amazon and their one-click purchase process.

I recommend a new tool called Easy Seller Pro. It's a new
software script for your web site that does some amazing
things. I bought a copy and will begin implementing it
across many of my sites. I wrote a review here:

http://www.cooltoolawards.com/software/business/easysellerpro.htm

It includes a shopping cart system, an affiliate management
system, a discount coupon system, a mass mailing system and
much more. All inclusive, easy to install, and easy to
customize. What I call a no-brainer purchase. If you can't
install it, they will for $15.00. Now you have no excuses.

Second, Susan Harrow, an expert on promotion and publicity,
has offered a substantial discount on her ebook "Get Into O
Magazine". She understands how to get into Ophrah's
magazine and on her show.

The link is here:

http://www.webmarketingmagic.com/app/?af=395817

Her $100 discount offer ends December 16th. Buy it. Read it.
Learn something.

Please do yourself a favor and review your marketing
methods. Look at the above list of critical elements and if
you are missing anything, fix it. If you want help, reach
out to me. I have limited time before the holidays, but
I'll do my best to work you into my schedule.

All my best,

Steve Schneiderman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home