Friday, November 06, 2009

Scam Alert: Facebook and Award Company Scams

I usually don't write to you more than once a week unless I have
timely information to share with you. I need to tell you about
two scams that I've come across.

The first is a fake Facebook update email. The email looks legit
but it is an attempt to steal your Facebook login credentials and
eventually your identity. Do not click on the embedded link in
this email. The subject line will state: "New login system" and
then the body of the email will inform you of a new login
experience but you need to click the embedded link. If you view
the source code of this link, while it looks like it is going to
Facebook, it is actually going to a European hackers site with a
fake Facebook login screen. I am betting that once you land on
the web site it will also try to load malicious software to your
PC. Be forewarned. Similar emails are circulating for fake Outlook
updates. Don't click the links. Delete the emails and tell your
friends about them, too.

The second scam I came across is an attempt to sell you an award
for your business. Like Who's Who Worldwide, these types of
companies try to pass themselves off as legitimate companies
claiming to perform market research on individuals and
companies and then nominate you for an award. You are then
offered the opportunity to order a plaque or crystal award or
both. This week I received a "Best of Tulsa 2009" award for
Marketing Consulting. Yeah,right. The plaque was $79.00 and the
crystal award was $179.00 and I could buy both for $199.00. While
these types of artificial plaques and awards may give your
business some credibility, eventually someone, somewhere will
question it. The email accompanying my nomination was very well
done and included links to a mock-up of an award with my name on
it and a personalized press release with my company's name in it.
Very clever. All automated. I bet they make a mint. And they are
located in D.C. to help pass themselves off as a legit non-profit.

So watch out. There's folks out looking to rob you blind under
the auspices of being helpful. If something sounds too good, it
usually is.

Until next time,


Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home