Thursday, February 18, 2010

Valentines Lessons and Hope

Greetings and I hope things are going well for you on the other
side of the screen. February has been busier than expected with
lots of new opportunities despite a constantly floundering
economy. We've just gotten past the last few snow storms, and
Frank, my friend and chief meteorologist at Channel 8 KTUL
informs us we could still get another 10 inches of snow before
winter is over. If you've been hit by multiple snow storms like
us, then I know you must ready for Spring, too. I'm just counting
the days ...

Valentines Day was really nice this year. My wife, Amy, bought
me a wonderful massage and then cooked a lobster feast for our
dinner. Wow! I am so undeserving. It was sensational. We gave our
son, Christian, a $50 gift card to Walmart and he was so excited.
He has had his eyes set on a new series of Bionicle toys --
they're kind of the new Lego toy.

Anyway, I promised to take Christian to the store after church
on Sunday to go shopping for toys, and he quickly found what he
wanted and filled the cart up with toys. But as we started to
pass the jewelry counter, he asked if he could put his toys back
and buy my wife a sterling silver heart pendant instead. I tried
to talk him out of it since we had already given her presents,
but there was no talking him out of it. He rushed back to the toy
department with toys in hands, and came back empty handed ready
to use all of his gift money for Mommy.

He proudly carried the gift home and dramatically presented it
to my wife. She was overwhelmed and Christian was so proud to
share his love and give such a gift. Kind of brought home the
whole reason for Valentines for us as a family. We're blessed in
so many ways I can hardly count them all.

I try to share those blessings with as many people as possible,
and one way I do this is to provide some free coaching for local
companies. This past week I had the good fortune of meeting two
women who work together in a business that has not been doing
very well for a long time. We spent two hours talking about the
ups and downs and the present state of the economy. I gave them
some advice that I hope will point them down a more profitable
road, but something occurred to me which I feel compelled to
share with you, my loyal reader.

I believe that entrepreneurs can become addicted to their
companies and live in denial over their failures just to keep the
doors open. This isn't so for all business owners, but some
founders have so much of their personal lives and spirit tied up
in their company that they fail to see the forest for the trees.
They fail to see that if they have not been able to make a living
after 7 years that it's probably time to close up shop and find
something else to do.

The key in these instances is to step out of denial and look at
the lessons learned -- and the minor successes -- and then try to
figure out how to do it better the next time around. Don't focus
on the past failures. Focus on the future with Hope in your heart
instead.

Hope in a floundering economy is a challenge. So many people are
losing their jobs and then go numb. They are like deer in
headlights, watching the car, getting hit, and then laying there,
waiting to die. It doesn't have to be like this. There is Hope.

I don't pretend to have all the answers, and what works for me,
may not work for you, but here is my advice should you find
yourself in an awkward financial position.

Determine where your expertise lies. What subject do you know
better than the majority of the people around you? This could be
knowledge derived through a formal education or lifetime
experience. It could be knowledge that has been passed down
through your family or a mentor.

Start writing a book.

When the book is done, record an audio version.

When the audio is done, create a video series.

Start a blog to establish yourself as a subject matter expert.

Start social networking, connecting to others, and participating
in forum and other online discussions related to your area of
expertise.

Invest the time to become a recognized authority.

Establish a squeeze page and a micro site.

When people enter their name and email address into your squeeze
page, add them to a mailing list and start sending them follow-up
related information.

Promote your stuff: ebook, audio, video, membership site.

And never stop.

You can make a living this way. Especially if your product is
good and you can attract affiliates to promote your product. It
may not be the living you envisioned, but it will help keep a
roof over your head, food in your belly and gas in your car.

For some this approach seems daunting. I can help. For others,
it will become a path for financial success. The late Corey Rudl
was just out of college when he started selling his ebook about
buying the car you always wanted. He sold tons of ebooks and made
7 figures and built a marketing empire. It can be done.

But it starts with Hope.

All my best,

Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home