Friday, September 12, 2008

Remembering 9/11

I stayed up late last night with my wife, watching the original footage of the 9/11 attack.
Have 7 years really flown by so fast? That footage never loses its power and always makes me cry. It's one of those life-changing events you will always remember, much like the days when the Kennedy's or Martin Luther King were assassinated.

At the time of 9/11, my family and I had flown down to Florida for my best friend's wedding. We had just left Boca Raton for Orlando and we were on our way into Disney World.
As we were listening to the radio, we heard about the first Tower. It was unfathomable to me.

I am a born and bred New Yorker and lived there for the first 34 years of my life. I'd been to the Towers many times on business. In fact, my best friend -- the one whose wedding I was attending in Florida -- worked in the Towers. He lost dozens of co-workers that day.

And yet with all of the heartache, there is a sense of wonder -- for me at least -- that we still have hope for the future. Since that fateful day, I have made friends all over the world through the Internet and I now list close friends in far-off places such as Lebanon and Pakistan and
India. The Internet brings us closer than ever before and makes it possible for us to transcend physical and religious borders and to truly exist as an online brotherhood of man.

That's it. No marketing hype today. Just a moment to remember the past and consider the future.

Until next time,

Steven

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home